Ranger Guided Hikes
Join a ranger on a 2.5 mile hike through the pine flatwoods and learn about the flora and fauna of Colt Creek. Be prepared with weather-appropriate clothing, closed-toed shoes, water, sunscreen, and bug spray.
Full moon hikes
Be a part of the nightlife and see Colt Creek in the light of a full moon. Join a ranger on a 2.5 mile hike through the pine flatwoods and learn about the flora and fauna of Colt Creek. Be prepared with weather-appropriate clothing, closed-toed shoes, water, and bug spray.
Outdoor Skills series each event is held separately
- Campfire cooking – Learn about different ways to cook over a fire including tinfoil, cast iron, and metal roasting sticks. Results are often delicious.
- Knot tying – Learn about basic knot that can help you when you spend time outdoors.
- Basic Compass Skills – learn how to use a compass on a map and when following specific directions
- Fire Building – Learn about different fire structures and how to build them. Start a fire and see what works.
- Backpacking 101 – Learn how to plan and pack for a backpacking trip.
- Owls Program
Learn about 5 Florida owls. Where they live, what they sound like, and how you can help as habitat is harder to find for some of them.
Join us at volunteer Hank’s fossils program as he reveals the secrets found in Florida’s rivers. Come and see shark teeth and different fossilized bones found in the Peace River.
What lies beneath the fur, scales and skin of Colt Creek animals? Learn, see and touch the skulls of some pretty cool creatures.
Prescribed Fire Program
Join Rangers Elijah and Curtis as they explain how Colt Creek State Park is shaped by fire. See the park’s type 6 fire engine and other equipment used in the park during a prescribed fire. There will not be an active fire at this event.
Introduction to Fishing
Cast a line in at Mac Lake and see what you can catch. Learn basic fishing skills from one of our rangers and have some fun.
Introduction to Nature Photography
Whether you use a camera or a phone, learn how to take better photos. We will have a presentation and then practice the skills learned.
Catch a ride on the Colt Creek tram to see the beautiful scenery on the trails. The ride lasts about an hour.
Join Imperial Polk Astronomical Society as they bring their knowledge of the night sky and their telescopes to show the public astronomical events.
Gopher Tortoise Program
Learn about the gopher tortoise a keystone species in pine flatwoods and all the critters that share their burrows.